I feel so bad for Alan. Almost every day people at work ask him, “aren’t you supposed to be in Ireland by now?” or, with confused looks on their faces, “Aren’t you moving to Ireland soon?” If I had to be reminded multiple times a day that things are way behind schedule I might blow a gasket. It’s amazing he hasn’t developed an eye twitch yet.
The latest update from the Dublin lawyers came the other day. A new guy we hadn’t worked with before responded to Alan’s email asking what our expectations should be now that we had confirmation from the DJEI that our application date was in review to let us know that once the application was processed, the DJEI would send the physical copy to the lawyers by post. From there, the lawyers would email us the information so that we could start booking things (we need our visa number to get things booked). We expected to hear something this week. Well, this morning when we woke up there was no email from their office. Alan checked the DJEI website which had been updated to indicate they were now processing applications past the date ours was received. He wrote to the guy who had given him the last update only to get an out of office message alerting recipients to his September 14 return date. Alan responded to it and cc’d the other people he’d been in contact with at the law firm and the response he got back was that they had been briefed.
WHAT THE EVER LOVING HELL DOES THAT MEAN? Is someone opening his mail? Is someone doing his job while he’s gone? I have to tell you these people are the least effective communicators ever. I know there are tons of jokes out there about lawyer speak, but they don’t even bother. They just speak in riddles, or not at all.
At this point, there’s no way we’re getting to Dublin in September which sucks because we’re still working on the assumption that because the visa application said September 1 was the work start date that we’re losing time we can spend there. Alan has a meeting in another state at the end of the month so now even if we did get our visa approved, I’m not sure we’d want to move to Dublin only to turn around and have him fly back for a week just days after we got there. I mean, he could, but it wouldn’t be ideal. Right now I’m thinking that we’ll delay going to Dublin until October and tack on a vacation at the end of his big work meeting. Lord knows we need it.